|Sara Siskind's Actual Pantry|
1. Legumes - I love having an assortment of dried or canned beans to create a quick protein and fiber filled dish. Toss them in salads, soups, dips or even bake with them. They are loaded with cancer fighting chemicals, good for your heart, and cleans out the digestive track.
2. Herbs and Spices- Cayenne pepper helps to stimulate your metabolism, cinnamon keeps your blood sugar stabilized, turmeric anti-inflammatory, ginger eases digestion, sea salt, dried thyme, mint and rosemary for lots of flavor.
3. Pistachio Chewy Bites, Raw Nuts and Seeds- Nuts are my go to for a quick, healthy snack. I love chopping up Pistachio Chewy Bites and adding them to my salads and quinoa to make a simple dish into a fabulous, tasty one you can serve yourself or even at your next dinner party.
4. Whole Grains-Quinoa, Brown Rice, Millet and Oats take the lead for naturally gluten free grains that give you protein and fiber giving you quick energy and fiber to keep you full.
5. Low Sodium Organic Broth- either Chicken or Vegetable. Create quick soups, use for light sauteing, or even to cook your whole grains in. Adds taste without adding in calories.
6. Heart Healthy Oils- my favorites are Extra Virgin Olive Oil- to use in dressings or light sauteing, Coconut Oil for high heat and a hint of flavor and Grapeseed Oil for high heat with neutral flavor.
7. Dark Chocolate- Dark Chocolate covered nuts are fantastic for satisfying your sweet tooth without spiking your blood sugar. The nuts help to slow down the absorption of sugar, keeping your blood sugar levels even.
With two main ingredients, Pistachio Chewy Bites (6-Pack $5.99 and 16-Pack $12.50) provide healthy snack lovers the amazing benefits of pistachios and cranberries in a delicious and nutritious bite-size bar. Pistachio Chewy Bites are heart-healthy, 100% all natural, gluten and dairy free, low in sodium, GMO free, vegan and a great on-the-go protein snack. They also have no cholesterol, zero trans-fat and are a good source of dietary fiber. These nutrient-rich snack bars provide a great balance of carbohydrates, protein and fat for sustainable energy. With 7 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and healthy fat, the individually wrapped bars are the perfect one stop shop.
Available in major grocery store chains across the country such as: Fairway, Shoprite, A&P, Roundy’s, HEB, Safeway, Ingles, Gelson’s, King Kullen, Earthfare, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Save Mart, Lucky, Hy-Vee, Shop n’ Save, etc. They are also available online at Amazon.com and Puritan.com.
Until next time...